1. NFL Playoff
Classics Duds – The Jets-Bengals game was awful. The Eagles-Cowboys game was a thrashing. The Patriots dynasty was murdered by the Ravens. Even the Cardinals/Packers game started as a rout, before turning into a shootout that will be talked about for a long time. I hope this week’s games are a lot better.
2. Uristocrat.com – Allow us to toot our own horn for a second – the new site design is dope. As always, be sure to check us out daily. Also, be on the lookout for Uristocrat in 2010. We’re cooking up some events this year that will be can’t miss events.
3. College Hoops – College hoops madness has officially begun, with three of the top 5 teams taking L’s this weekend. Kansas, Perdue and Duke took L’s this weekend, leaving Texas and Kentucky as the only unbeatens in the land. Exit Monday Night Football, Enter Big Monday.
4. Avatar – James Cameron’s 3D, sci-fi mega flick was being pegged as one of the greatest films of the decade before it even came out. It’s definitely lived up to the hype, becoming the fast film ever to earn a billion dollars. This film has not only scored acclaim for next generation special effects but for its story line as well.
5. Jay-Z and the Illuminati – Hov dropped that weird http://uristocrat.com/tag/ben-jones-and-jd-samson/, which has ramped up the Illuminati/Mason rumors again. I’m not sure if Hov is a Mason or not, but I’m pretty confident that if there is a secret society that rules the world, they might have better things to worry about than influencing the most easily influenced group of people in the world – hip-hop fans.
6. Matt Kemp and Rihanna – This couple had the celebrity blogs and the sports blogs buzzing. Personally, I think Matt Kemp is in a world of trouble. She’s proven time and time again to be a nutty jawn. Then again, Kemp has quietly been one of the best young players in the league but is stuck in Manny’s shadow. Now, I’d go out on a limb and say a few more people at least know his name.
7. The Manny Pacquiao/ Floyd Mayweather saga – Only boxing could completely screw up a 100M dollar event. This fight would’ve been bigger than any other fight to go down last decade, now it doesn’t look like it will happen at all. The latest word is that Pac Man and Pretty Boy Floyd will both fight on March 13, but not against each other. From sharing a nationwide audience likely filled with a lot of people watching their first fight in years, to splitting audiences of mostly hardcore boxing fans, the people who run boxing couldn’t be more incompetent.
8. Alabama Crimson Tide – The Tide rolled against Texas in the national championship, despite a courageous effort by Colt McCoy, with Texas handicapped by their injured star QB watching on the sidelines. Bama’s defense dominated the game, and the Crimson Tide overwhelmed Texas on both sides of the line of scrimmage. Nick Saban has become the first coach to lead two different teams to BCS Championships, but wait there’s more. The Tide is constantly reloading, and will be bringing in yet another Top 3 recruiting class this fall.
9. Pete Carroll – I don’t know about you, but I smell a scandal brewing. Between the Reggie Bush investigation starting to pick up a little steam, along with the Joe McKnight and O.J. Mayo scandals, USC might be facing some lofty sanctions down the road. Better to leave now, unscathed, and make $7 mil a year, then to stay and get what you deserve. A loyal, honest college football coach with integrity is probably not a winning one.
10. Nexus One – Another month, another “iPhone Killer” is released. Unlike its predecessors, the Nexus One seems to be a legit player in the Smart Phone field. Early critical and consumer reviews have been highly favorable for the Nexus One. If anything, it may provide an alternative for those who aren’t big fans of the Blackberry or the iPhone.