1. ‘How I Got Over’ – The Roots – First up this week is the new album by The Roots. ‘How I Got Over’ is an instant contender for album of the year. There isn’t a song you can skip on this one. It’s a perfect album for riding around with the windows down. This will be in the rotation indefinitely.
2. 2010 NBA Champion LA Lakers – Congrats to the Lakers for bringing home their 2nd consecutive championship. Kobe has his fifth ring (one more than Shaq), Phil got # 11, and Ron Artest won his first championship. Speaking of Artest, he stole the show after the game with a series of bizarre interviews and allegedly going to the club after the game in his uniform. Check out his track ‘Champions,’ which actually isn’t bad.
3. World Cup Update – The U.S. was screwed out of a goal that would’ve given them a 3-2 victory over Slovenia in one of the best comebacks in the history of the event. However, they still tied and can advance to the knockout round with a win on Wednesday. With group play moving to the third and final games this week, the action will be really intense this week.
4. The Boondocks destroys Tyler Perry – Aaron McGruder is no stranger to controversy, and he cooked it up again on the latest episode of Boondocks ‘Pause.’ He essentially took Perry to task for cooning, promoting colorism and shielding his sexuality behind his religion. Besides coming at the neck of one of the most popular blacks in entertainment, there were some few depictions of Jesus that rubbed people the wrong way. However, a lot of people who saw it thought it was the funniest episode of the season. What do you think?
5. NBA Draft This Thursday – The NBA draft is on deck Thursday, but we already know who the top two picks will be. John Wall is going to go to the Bullets Wizards at one and the Sixers should pick up Evan Turner with the second pick. There could be a lot of trades going down too, since a lot of teams are trying to grab a top free agent this summer. By the end of the night, your favorite team’s roster could look a lot different.
6. J. Cole ‘Roc Nation’ – J. Cole and Tapemaster’s have dropped a new mixtape, ‘Roc Nation.’ This joint has a lot of the tracks Cole has released after his 2009 mixtape ‘The Warm Up.’ We’re thrilled to let you know we’re bringing J. Cole back to Philly on July 17 for the Heineken Green Room. Check uristocrat.com for more details as the date gets near.
7. Return of True Blood and Entourage – HBO hit us off with two shows with some potential over the past few months – ‘How to Make it in America’ and ‘Treme,’ but now the big boys are back. True Blood and Entourage are back to keep us posted up on the couch every Sunday night for the rest of the summer. I can’t wait.
8. Summer School commercial – July 15th is right around the corner. That’s when our Summer School concert featuring Kidz in the Hall, Dephonic, Stalley, Writtenhouse, Asaad and Sock the Rapper is going down at the TLA. Cop your tickets from Live Nation today if you haven’t already and check out the pics from our commercial shoot with Mitchell & Ness and several of the artists from the concert.
9. Gucci Mane and DJ Drama – “Mr. Zone 6” – Gucci’s home and he’s teamed up with Drama again to drop the ‘Mr. Zone 6’ mixtape. His next album, “The Appeal” should be out later this year. BURR.
10. New Drake – We just got our hands on some Drake tracks that must have just missed the album. ‘Greatness’ and ‘Still Got It,’ along with ‘You Know You Know’ must have just missed the album. If you enjoyed the album you’ll definitely enjoy these tracks.