1. Gary Coleman – Gary Coleman died over the weekend, grabbing major headlines before the holiday. The star of 80s show Diff’rent Strokes, had fallen on hard times lately and was probably laughed at more than laughed with towards the end. Hopefully he’s gone to a better place.
2. The Roots Picnic – This Saturday marks the 3rd Annual Roots Picnic. Of course The Roots will be performing (Hopefully the perform new songs from their new album, “How I got Over”). The Picnic will also feature Vampire Weekend, John Legend, Method Man, Ghostface, Raekwon, Clipse, Das Racist, Mayer Hawthorne & The County, Bajah + The Dry Eye Crew, Jay Electronica, and many more! Enter the 215mag Roots Picnic Giveaway here.
3. Kanye – ‘Power’ – Kanye came back from his hiatus to drop ‘Power,’ which sounds like his middle finger to the world. Mr. West is a lightning rod for criticism and controversy but he’s proven once again that he can grab the biggest headlines with his music. Welcome back ‘Ye.
4. Drake feat Jay-Z – ‘Light Up’ – As Drake’s album continues to leak song by song, one of the more anticipated tracks hit the streets late last week. ‘Light Up’ features Hov and has been the most talked about of the leaked songs by far. Opinions are all over the place on this one, but if you haven’t heard it yet click here.
5. BP fails to stop oil spill – One of the more disturbing stories is the BP oil spill situation that still hasn’t been solved. Only time will tell how damaging this oil spill will be but this thing has the potential to be more devastating than BP/the gov’t is letting on.
6. ‘F a Mixtape’ – T.I. – T.I. dropped his first mixtape since being home called ‘F*** a mixtape.’ Is the king back? The mixtape features a host of features including Killer Mike, Keri Hilson, Lil Duval, Timbaland and Philadelphia Native Kevin Hart. Check it out and let us know what you think.
7. Lakers vs. Celtics: Part 124 – As soon as the final buzzer sounded in Phoenix Saturday night, the NBA hype machine was already at work. Lakers vs. Celtics, the rivalry continued. Can Kobe and company avenge their 2008 loss? Can the Celtics bring home trophy #18 in what may be the end of an era for the ‘Big 3’ in Boston? Luckily for David Stern, this is one of the few matchups that can postpone the free agency talk for a few weeks. I hope this matchup will be more entertaining than the 2008 version.
8. ‘Albert Anastasia EP’ – Rick Ross – Now here’s something you don’t see every day in hip-hop, an EP. Rick Ross dropped his Albert Anastasia EP to mostly solid reviews. It’s a nice warm up leading up to his album ‘Teflon Don,’ which drops this summer.
9. Memorial Day recap – With Memorial Day in the books, summer’s officially here. Fire up the grills, break out the pastels and finalize the travel plans. If you haven’t already, make sure you read the Formally Introduced piece on summer formal essentials.
10. Philly Sports Update – Doc Halladay has been worth the price of admission and more for the slumping Phillies. Last Saturday he had a game for the ages, throwing the 20th perfect game in MLB history against the Florida Marlins. Meanwhile, the Flyers are down 2-0 to the Blackhawks. They’re going to have to keep fighting to avoid being swept at home, as the Blackhawks stars haven’t even played well yet. Right now, the only good thing about the Flyers being in the Stanley Cup Finals is the cool t-shirts that have been popping up.