Wale releases the video for his track “Never Never,” featured on his recently released Folarin mixtape. The video is directed by 1st Impressions and has the feel of the 90’s Roots video, “What They Do.” You know, its like there is a checklist of what you need to have for a video to make it “Hot.” Lets see:
- Leopard fur Jacket (ala Trinidad James), Check.
- Rolls Royce driving slowly through the hood, check (I don’t get the Rolls Royce though because the close up of the Rolls happens when Wale mentions the Bentley and last time I checked, those two vehicles are not the same).
- Sneaker store cameo, check.
- New Balance cameo, check (you not really from DC if you don’t know about the Newbies so Wale definitely needed an appearance in those).
- Cameo in the Hood Fast Food Joint, check. Hanging out on the benches in front of the Projects, check.
So with all that in mind, it’s not a bad video. The song itself is ok, you know, for a mixtape track. It doesn’t beat this though. Wale can you go back to having DJ Omega on your tapes?
Ralph Victor Folarin (born Olubowale Victor Akintimehin in September 21, 1984), better known by his stage name Wale (/ˈwɑːlei/ WAH-lay), is a Nigerian-American rapper from Washington, D.C. Wale was born to Nigerian parents. He rose to prominence in 2006, when his song “Dig Dug (Shake It)” became popular in his hometown. Wale became locally recognized and continued recording music for the regional audience. Producer Mark Ronson discovered Wale in 2006 and signed him to Allido Records in 2007. While signed to that label, Wale released several mixtapes and appeared in national media including MTV and various urban magazines.
In 2008, Wale signed to Interscope Records for $1.3 million, and his debut album Attention Deficit was released in 2009 with the singles “Chillin“, “Pretty Girls“, and “World Tour“. The album, although under-shipped, received positive reviews from critics. In early 2011 Wale signed on with Rick Ross’ Maybach Music Group, where members of the label released a compilation album, Self Made Vol. 1 on May 23, 2011. His second studio album, Ambition was released November 1, 2011.